RE: Draft for review: Working with Time Zones

Hi, as of now I've read all but the Guidelines of the draft,
http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/WorkingWithTimeZones

I do have a question for the section "Identifying Zone from Offset and Country."

How many time zones are in Russia?  It is not on the list of countries with more than one time zone (maybe there is something I do not understand).

My comments are below.

* * * COMMENTS * * *
What About Daylight Saving (Summer) Time: UTC Offset  (2nd par 1rst bullet)

"In addition, some time zones fall outside a single 24-hour span. "

{ How do they?  I'm a bit confused.  No need to clarify this but I guessed that
you meant for example that if we went from Greenwich back to Greenwich there could be more than 24 hours traversed -- because of daylight saving time or something? I guess I would like an example. }

* * *
What About Daylight Saving (Summer) Time: Daylight Savings / Summer Time  (2nd bullet)

"Since "spring" and "autumn" happen in opposite parts of the year in the northern and southern hemispheres. So regions in northern latitudes that share a base UTC offset with a region in a southern latitude will typically have very different DST rules."

{  COMMENT:  the sentence beginning with "Since" is a fragment; a clause with "Since" needs an indepedent clause to go with it.
However, with "So" beginning the next clause, you can omit "Since" here -- and perhaps change "So" to "Thus."
Alternately, you can join these two clauses, leaving the first with "Since", and omit "So" in the second }

=> "Spring" and "autumn" happen in opposite parts of the year in the northern and southern hemispheres.  [Thus] regions in northern latitudes that share a base UTC offset with a region in a southern latitude will typically have very different DST rules."

or ? =>
"Since "spring" and "autumn" happen in opposite parts of the year in the northern and southern hemispheres, regions in northern latitudes that share a base UTC offset with a region in a southern latitude will typically have very different DST rules."
* * *

[ NOT IMPORTANT
Incremental Time, par 2, second sentence

"It represents the number of milliseconds since 00:00 (midnight) on January 1, 1970 in UTC (less all of the intervening leap seconds)."
{ COMMENT, you might add a note -- "see below" -- after leap seconds
}

=>
"It represents the number of milliseconds since 00:00 (midnight) on January 1, 1970 in UTC (less all of the intervening leap seconds [see below])."
]

* * *

[ NOT IMPORTANT? Floating Time, last par

{ COMMENT:  This may be a stupid question, but I did not understand the following: I think the day should only go to GMT-12:00?  For a twenty-four hour clock I mean. }
"That "day" can begin as early as midnight GMT-14:00 and end as late as midnight of January 2 GMT+12:00, depending on local time. This covers an incremental time range of fifty hours. "
}
]
* * *
Timestamps, 1rst par, 2nd sentence

"If your application can accurately generate incremental and/or field-based times based on UTC and the events are not tied to specific local time, all that is needed is the timestamp value itself.
That is, if your application never needs to recover what the actual wall time was when event occurred and only cares about relative ordering of events.
For example, if you merge log files from many machines together or if you are recording events in a log, a timestamp is perfectly adequate. For these types of time events, an incremental time or a field based time with an offset is all that is needed."

{ COMMENT:  insert "an" }
=>  "That is, if your application never needs to recover what the actual wall time was when an event occurred and only cares about relative ordering of events."

* * *
Example, 2nd par

"If your application needed to represent a future recurring event, such as the time of a regular teleconference, an xs:dateTime value such as "2010-07-10T07:00:00-07:00" with an associated xs:duration field of "P7D" (i.e. weekly) would not tell you if the meeting should occur at a different actual wall time following the next daylight saving transition, and, if so, which time zone's rules should be applied in order to determine the changes. If the value "-07:00" is supposed to represent the U.S. Pacific time zone, then reminder messages might be generated for the wrong time once U.S. Pacific time transitions to standard time in the fall. In addition, users in other time zones, where the DST transition occurs on a different date, may find themselves unsure of when to call in to such a meeting. "

{ COMMENT:  For clarity, I would have liked a clarification that the Pacific Time Zone is on daylight time on the summer; just one additional phrase would fix it:
"on daylight time in July;"
also in the last sentence "into" is one word  }
=>
"If your application needed to represent a future recurring event, such as the time of a regular teleconference, an xs:dateTime value such as "2010-07-10T07:00:00-07:00" with an associated xs:duration field of "P7D" (i.e. weekly) would not tell you if the meeting should occur at a different actual wall time following the next daylight saving transition, and, if so, which time zone's rules should be applied in order to determine the changes. If the value "-07:00" is supposed to represent the U.S. Pacific time zone, then reminder messages might be generated for the wrong time once U.S. Pacific time, on daylight time in July, transitions to standard time in the fall. In addition, users in other time zones, where the DST transition occurs on a different date, may find themselves unsure of when to call into such a meeting. "
* * *

Example, 3rd (last) par

"Note that, although ISO 8601 is expressed in terms of the Gregorian calendar, it can be used to represent values in any calendar system. The presentation of date and time values to end users using different calendar and timekeeping systems is separate from the lexical representation, as the time value can be converted to an incremental time and then new field values computed for some other calendar or time keeping system that uses alternate rules. "

{ COMMENT: again you've got to decide between "timekeeping" and "time keeping" }

* * *
Identifying Zone from Offset and Country, par 1

" Only twenty countries have more than one observed time zone. These countries are:
Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, France, Greenland, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Mexico, Micronesia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, and the United States. "

{ COMMENT ON CONTENT:  I don't see Russia; am I mistaken and does it only have one time zone or is there an omission?
I pulled up Russian time quickly in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Russia }

* * *
Identifying Zone from Offset and Country, last par

"Within each of the countries that observe multiple time zones, knowing the current offset and current time will usually allow you to determine the time zone accurately. An exception to this is the United States: there exist some regions, such as Arizona, whose time zone cannot be determined strictly from country and offset, although an inferred time zone will always work for current time applications (not future and past times). "

{ COMMENT: regarding clarity, the comment about Arizona is confusing -- I assume you are talking about the fact that it does not go on daylight time in the summers and thus it's time is one hour behind the rest of the Mountain Time Zone in the summer; that's all I can think that you mean.  The rest of the year its time works fine. }

Incremental Versus Field-Based Time, 1rst par, last two sentences

"Field based times must be normalized and their individual fields compared. Field based times can have certain kinds of logical operations performed on them (for example, rolling the month forward or back), while incremental time requires a logical transformation. "

{ COMMENT:  you omitted the hyphens on "field-based times" }
=>
"Field-based times must be normalized and their individual fields compared. Field-based times can have certain kinds of logical operations performed on them (for example, rolling the month forward or back), while incremental time requires a logical transformation."

* * *
Incremental Versus Field-Based Time, 3rd par

"The SQL data types 'date', 'time', and 'timestamp' are field based time values which are intended to be zone offset independent: they are actually, technically, floating time values! The data type 'timestamp with time zone' is the zone offset-dependent equivalent of 'timestamp' in SQL. Programming languages, by contrast, tend to use incremental time and convert to and from a localized textual representation on demand. Databases may use incremental time or either zone offset-dependent or independent field-based structures internally. For example, Oracle databases treat a 'timestamp' field as though it is in the local time of the database instance. This can have unusual effects on queries: a field based time value that represents a local time with daylight saving needs to identify the UTC offset and whether daylight saving is in effect or not in order to disambiguate the repeated time when transitioning from daylight saving time (DST) to standard time. For example, in the United States in 2009, any instant between 1 and 2 am on November 1st happens twice, once in DST and a second time in standard time. Field based types without a time zone field (such as an Oracle timestamp) cannot represent the repeated times unambiguously without supplemental information provided externally. "

{ COMMENT:  again you've omitted the hyphens on "field-based" when it is acting as an adjective }
=>
[...]

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com