RE: Draft for review: Working with Time Zones

Hi.

> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:40:35 +0900
> From: duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp
> To: addison@lab126.com
> CC: mark@macchiato.com; cowan@mercury.ccil.org; ishida@w3.org; www-international@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Draft for review: Working with Time Zones
>
> Hello Addison,
>
> Just one small grammatical fix below.
>
> On 2011/02/16 15:20, Phillips, Addison wrote:
>
> > * There may be no way to represent a leap second time value using your local incremental units and may not be a means of representing a leap second using field-based units.
>

> There may be no way to represent a leap second time value using your
> local incremental units*,* and *there* may not be a means of
> representing a leap second using field-based units.

Yes, Martin is correct here

{COMMENT:  if you are going to omit any part of the "There may be no way" verb phrase in the second clause, you have to "ellipse" (leave out) this entire impersonal verb phrase, "there may be;"
if you did this the two clauses would have to be syntactically parallel and so you could not use "not" in the second; you would have to use "no" as you have used in the first clause:
=>
"> There may be no way to represent a leap second time value using your
> local incremental units*,* and [no] means of representing a leap second using field-based units.
>"
[my change is indicated with brackets . . . ]
Otherwise you have to leave the impersonal subject there with the verb, as Martin has suggested --
use his suggestion!  It sounds great to me! }

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com