Re: dollar sign in CSS variable

I would like to offer an alternate point of view. Not just for CSS but for programming languages/systems in general.

The systems I have come across and have used are restricted to ASCII. One of the results of this is that a character often has multiple functions and one has to work out the function from context. eg $1 could be a parameter passed to a script or a field number in awk

But if instead we used unicode characters then a character can have a single function/meaning and thus remove ambiguities and make code easier to read.

another eg where a and b are variables in some abstracted system

Is a=b an assignment or a test of equality?

Lets introduce unicode -

For assignment something like a←b
Equality could remain as a=b

I realize there are all the issues of keyboard mappings but I believe the above is the approach we should be taking for the longer term

André 小山 Schappo
http://schappo.blogspot.com/