Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Input Method Editor API

Just post my feedback here. They are just my humble opinion that may not be
reasonable or correct.

Regards
James Su

0. Name of the API I suggest not to use term “Input Method Editor”, which is
a Windows specific term. We can just call it “Input Method API”, or maybe
“Text Input Controller API”.

1. interface Composition a) Better to use selection range instead of caret
position. Actually, the CompositionCaret interface already represents a
selection range.

b) Typo: CompositionAttribute should be CompositionClause

c) text in CompositionClause is not necessary, as we already have text in
Composition.

d) Each CompositionClause object should represent a range in the text, so
having an end or length attribute would be necessary. But because there
should no gap between two clauses, An length would be enough for each
clause, so a clause always starts from the end position of the previous
clause.

e) selected attribute of CompositionClause may not be necessary if we have
selection range in Composition.

f) Better to add an attribute to indicate the status of a CompositionClause,
such as “input”, “converted”, etc.

g) Better NOT to support text and background color in CompostionClause. The
Web App should be responsible for choosing proper colors according to the
clause status.

So a better Composition definition might look like:

interface Composition {
  readonly attribute DOMString text;
  readonly attribute CompositionSelection selection;
  readonly attribute CompositionClauseList clauses;
};

interface CompositionSelection {
  readonly attribute int location;
  readonly attribute int length;
};

interface CompositionClause {
  readonly attribute int length;
  readonly attribute DOMString type;
};

2. interface InputMethodContext a) I’m not sure if the source attribute is
useful for Web Apps.

b) boolean setEnable(in boolean enable);

You proposal says:
The setEnable() method

Controls the state of the IME associated with this context. The enable
parameter
represents whether a user agent activates this IME when the given node gains
the input focus. When this value is true, a user agent activates an IME when
this node gains the input focus and sends composition events to the given
nodeeven though the node is not an editable one, such as a <canvas> element..
This function returns true when the user agent successfully activates (or
deactivates) the IME. Otherwise it returns false.

IMO, it’s inappropriate to activate/deactivate user’s input method from a
web app, which would be very intrusive to the user. Instead, I’d prefer to
have an attribute indicating the type of input content supported by the
node, just like HTML5 input tag’s type attribute. We may also have an
attribute to give a hint about the desired input language of this node. So
that the UA can decide an appropriate behavior when the node gets input
focus.

c) hasComposition()
It may not be necessary, as the web app can determine it by checking the
value of composition attribute.

d) setComposition() and confirmComposition() methods
First, it’s not clear that how these two methods interactive with
composition{start|update|end} and textInput DOM events, and how it affects
the content of the DOM node (it could be any node, not just canvas).

According to HTML DOM Event
Specification<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/#trusted-events>,
events which are generated by the user agent, either as a result of user
interaction, or as a direct result of changes to the DOM, are trusted
events, all other events are untrusted events. And the most important thing
is: Most untrusted events should not trigger default
actions<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/#glossary-default-action>,
with the exception of
click<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/#event-type-click>or
DOMActivate<http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/#event-type-DOMActivate>events.

So apparently these two methods would break this rule if they synthesize
those composition and text input related events and change the content of
the DOM node by triggering the events’ default actions.

Second, it’s not clear that how these two methods interactive with native
input methods. For example: what’s the expected behavior if the web app
calls setComposition() to change the composition text while the user is
composing something with a native input method? Would the native input
method accept the new composition text set by the web app or not?

3. interface InputMethodManager This interface may not be necessary as all
of its functionalities can be covered by the InputMethodContext interface.

4. Issues to be investigated a) We need to investigate if this proposal is
feasible for Pepper API
b) We need to investigate if this proposal can provide a better interaction
model between native and JavaScript input methods.
c) Security consideration. As this proposal tries to add API for Web App to
control the behavior of UA and native input method, we need to think about
the security problem carefully.
d) IMHO, adding extra interface and methods may not fit very well with
existing HTML DOM Event model. We probably need to investigate if it’s
feasible to support these features by extending existing DOM events or
adding some new events.

5. Conclusion This proposal still has many outstanding issues, IMHO, before
pushing it into standarization process, we may need more review feedback
from as many as Web app, UA and input method develoeprs as possible.

在 2010年11月9日 上午3:31,Hironori Bono (坊野 博典) <hbono@google.com>写道: