Re: css3-text- Indic Inputs

For Myanmar script and text segmentation, i.e. ::fist-letter , et al.

Not only is UAX29 important, but UTN11 also needs to be supported.

On 9 October 2010 04:00, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> With regards to vertical layout of glyphs -- there are two different
> ways to lay out horizontal scripts in vertical text. One is to keep
> each character upright. The other is to rotate them. There will be
> a control for this in the spec that defines vertical text, in which
> case upright Indic like you have indicated there could be explicitly
> chosen along with upright Latin.

I've been thinking about this over the last couple of days. I'm unware
of Indian examples, but I have seen cases where signs in Burmese are
written vertically, usually tends to be small amount of text. And
could be translated into vertical headings offset to a block of text,
assuming a designer wanted to try that.

I suspect that the scenario would be equivalent to Burmese text
horizontally layout in a text box that was one syllable wide breaking
at syllable boundaries.

Similar to Japanese signs, in vertical mode where the lines are one
character deep, so appears to be horizontal, right to left.

> The default vertical rendering for Indic scripts should be whatever
> is most appropriate for inlining inside a vertical script -- e.g.
> the appropriate way to render a name or quote inside a vertical
> Japanese book. I haven't seen any cases of mixed Indic-CJK recently,
> so I don't really have a good answer for that. But please think
> about this question in that context.

Maybe a Japanese text with Siddhaṃ content in it?

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Project Manager, Research and Development

andrewc@vicnet.net.au
lang.support@gmail.com