Re: UTF-16, UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE in HTML5

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> My reading is that UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE aren't ruled out, just that they
> need to be specified with Content-Type. They could be discouraged (like
> UTF-32) or banned (like UTF-7), but I don't have much of an opinion on the
> matter.

As of January, a Google sample of a few billion web pages showed that
UTF-8 and ASCII were used to encode almost 70% of the Web.  Latin-1
and friends were another 20%, and all other encodings combined were
about 13%.  UTF-16 and friends are probably less than 1%.

See http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7ZYqYi4xigk/S2Hcx0fITQI/AAAAAAAAFmM/ifZX2Wmv40A/s1600-h/unicode.png
.