Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ?

John Cowan wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding scripsit:
>
>> In any case, the http-equiv attribute exists for one and only one
>> purpose: to associate the metadata name with the HTTP header field
>> registry, as opposed to the unbounded name attribute.  It was the
>> first incarnation of a profile indicator.  Its named values are defined
>> elsewhere, by definition, and thus cannot be redefined by HTML5.
>> They are not defined by a WHATWG wiki page.
>
> What you obviously fail to understand is that HTML5 is a browser written
> in English (more or less) instead of C++.  It defines its own HTML, it
> defines its own HTTP, and doubtless around 2015 it will be defining its
> own TCP/IP and all its ancillary protocols as well.  And quite possibly
> its own windowing system and keyboard and mouse drivers.  All at the
> lowest conceivable level of description.  All you'll have to do is feed
> it into the appropriate compiler (also to be defined in the HTML5 spec)
> and out will come a working browser.
>
> So why worry about the misuse of a single header?  It's not even the tip
> of the iceberg.

I understand that there is a time and place for this kind of social
commentary, but please understand that we are trying to conduct business
here.  There are plenty of other places appropriate for posts such as
this one, and accordingly I will ask you to refrain from using this
mailing list for that purpose.

- Sam Ruby