RE: what's the language of a document ?

I've tried to update the spec to what was discussed with I18N at TPAC, in
particular regarding the way Content-Language is processed.

I ended up not making lang="" required or trigger a warning when it's
omitted, because it's quite plausible that a document will not have a
language at all, and because in many cases in practice language-detection
heuristics are actually more reliable than the lang="" attribute anyway.
However, if this isn't satisfactory, I would recommend bringing it up on
the public-html list for further discussion.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Our proposal is as follows and is based on the text of the following
> sections:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/semantics.html#d
> ocument-wide-default-language
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#th
> e-lang-and-xml:lang-attributes
>
> [1] Explain clearly that declarations in the http header and the meta
> element refer to the document as an object, rather than the text in a
> specific element (this is what makes the distinction between single and
> multiple values sensible).

Does the renaming of the term "document-wide default language" to
"pragma-set default language" address this sufficiently?

> [3] Establish the precedence between http vs meta.

I think this should now be clear.

> [4] Establish the rule that multiple values in the place that has
> precedence equates to lang="".

Done.

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Tex Texin wrote:

> Re: [3] Establish the precedence between http vs meta.
>
> I wish we could eliminate this nonsense altogether.
> The description of the content of a document should be self-contained within
> the document and not in the protocol.
> The protocol should only ever reflect what is in the document to enable
> routing and filters etc.
> But documents should be self-declared.

Content-Language is indeed unnecessary given lang="", but I would
recommend bringing this up with the HTTP group if the proposal is to
remove the header altogether.