RE: Regarding update of language declaration tests (I81NWG)

Hi!
From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:45:31 +0200
> I highly recommend
> reading Johannes Koch's presentation of the status of the empty
> xml:lang="" attribute.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa/2010Apr/0009
I looked quickly over Koch's article:
I saw that lang=null is not valid according to strict DTD XHTML 1.0
From: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:28:43 +0200
> Hi Stephane

> This indicates that (formally) an empty string is not a NMTOKEN and so
> is no valid value for the xml:lang attribute as defined in the XHTML 1.0
> Strict DTD.
Elsewhere however Koch notes that:
> in languages based on XHTML Modularization 1.1, the empty string is
> (formally) DTD-valid and XML-Schema-valid.
and that:
>  in "XHTML 1.1 + RDFa" the empty string is (formally) DTD-valid.
As I think you know, Richard Ishida suggests using lang="und"
where lang= the empty string is not supported in xml; otherwise his article recommends
the use of the emptry string that the working group is now trying to make invalid; see:
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language
Best,
C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com