RE: New Working Group Note: Requirements for String Identity Matching and String Indexing

Hi!

My initial comments on:
"Requirements for String Identity Matching and String Indexing"
http://www.w3.org/TR/charreq/
are on proofreading!

2.3 PAR 2, last sentence

"A process shall not assume that the interpretations of two canonical-equivalent character sequences are distinct. Additions may include some presentation forms."

{CORRECTION:
"canonical-equivalent"
>= "canonically-equivalent"
See text at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_equivalence for an example of the use of "canonically-equivalent"}

* * *

2.10, PAR 2, first bullet

"It is a prerequisite for be conservative in what you send "
{ CORRECTION
>= "It is prerequisite to being conservative in what you send."

Alternately,

>= "It is prerequisite to one's being in what is sent."
}

* * *

3.2, PAR 1, last sentence

"As an example, it could be required that text transmitted via certain protocols, or text exposed in certain APIs, is normalized."

{COMMENTS: ?? You used the indicative ("is normalized"), and not the subjunctive, which may be o.k. in the U.K. but in the U.S. the correct grammar is

"is normalized"
>= ?? "be normalized."
Also I would like some examples of the protocols here! }

* * *

3.2, last PAR, last sentence

"Such a transfer is indeed highly desirable in many cases, because to avoid generating unnormalized data is in many cases easier than to normalize such data later."
{CORRECTION/COMMENT:  broken verb predicate (I think it's better to keep these together when you can):
>="Such a transfer is indeed highly desirable in many cases, because it is in many cases easier to avoid generating unnormalized data than it is to normalize such data later."
}
* * *
4.4

{ COMMENT/CORRECTION?? :  I think I'd prefer
>= "sub-elements"
and
>=  "sub-element"
[that is, I think this word needs a hyphen--but some people don't hyphenate--IBM, for example;
see:  http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&source=hp&q=sub-element&btnG=Recherche+Google&lr=&aq=f&oq=!] }
* * *

I'll follow with a few questions/comments on the contents shortly!

Best,
C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com