Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS

Hi Martin,

At 02:33 18/02/2009, Martin Duerst wrote:
>At 20:05 09/02/17, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>
> >Is it really a good idea to generate heading numbers through CSS?
> It's very convenient for authors, but heading numbers are not
> really a styling aspect (as opposed to content).
>
>What kind of numbering you use is very much a styling aspect.

*What kind* of numbering may be a styling aspect, but the presence or
absence of numbering isn't. That's what I was really after.

>And if you want to do the actual sequence number in content,
>I don't know whether it's possible to express the number style
>via CSS (that would mean that e.g.
>     <h1 style='number-style: upper-roman;'>3. My Title</h1>
>would be rendered something like
>     III. My Title
>

> >As far as I know, screen readers don't pick up heading numbers
> generated through CSS.
>
>That's definitely bad, and may be a good reason to not do heading numbers
>with CSS for the moment, but it shouldn't affect the long-term design of CSS.

Screen readers get their data from the underlying application - in
this case, the browser - and if the application doesn't have the
numbers in the document tree, the screen reader isn't aware of them.
Screen readers should have to re-implement all the document formats
that the underlying applications claim to support.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe