Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS

Aryeh Gregor 2009-02-12 22.57:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no> wrote:
>> Are there any langauge
>> that doesn't use its alphabet for making simple alphabetically enumerated
>> lists from time to time?
>
> FWIW, I'm fairly sure nobody uses such lists in Hebrew, precisely for
> the reason Bert Bos points out: it would be confusing.  If the 11th
> letter were כ, then to me that would look like the list had skipped
> from 10 to 20.  It's possible such lists are used occasionally in
> Israel -- I'm an American Jew and wouldn't know -- but I doubt it.

OK.

>> Phonebooks exist in any language, right?
>
> Why are ordered lists with alphabetic item numbers related to
> alphabetized lists with no item numbers?

First, the name "CSS List module" is perhaps an unfortunate name.
It would have been better to use "enumeration module" or something
like that, as what it defines may also be used for pagination and
enumeration of headers and so on.

To your question: The "upper-alpha" format can be used to keep an
alphabetized list of English names. Likewise, "upper-norwegian"
can be use used to keep a list of Norwegian names.

The list item for the letter "Z" might contain an alphabetized
list of names on Z.

What's the problem? Why doesn't any script need this?
--
leif halvard silli