Re: New translation: 使用<select>鏈結到本地化內容

Salaam, Najib,

2009/4/30 Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>:
> Ed Trager wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> One additional point is to always include English somewhere near the
>> top of the list too, since it is the de-facto international language
>> of business almost everywhere in the world now.
>>
>> Implementing this, users in Vietnam might then see the following at
>> the top of their select list:
>>
>>     * Vietnamese
>>     * French
>>     * English
>>     * Chinese
>>     * Khmer
>>     --------------
>>     ... all the rest ...
>>
>> While users in Finland might instead see the following ordering:
>>
>>     * Finnish
>>     * Swedish
>>     * Sami
>>     * Russian
>>     * English
>>     -----------------
>>     ... all the rest ...
>>
>> I'd be very interested in people's thoughts on this idea of using
>> geolocation to derive a short-list of languages.
>>

> A similar idea is used by Google to localize UI. If you are in North Africa
> (e.g. Morocco), you are offered two UIs, in Arabic  and  French. Official
> spoken language and "the languages of colonialism ". Of course this might
> not seem satisfactory for foreign people present in the country.

That's interesting: I wasn't sure how Google did things.

As a side note, just as we can treat French as a "language of
Colonialism", we can
likewise treat Arabic as a "language of Empire" during an earlier period.

The fact that Google provides localizations in Arabic and French but
*not* in some standard form of Berber
is telling.  Of course that may change in the future ...

Also, Google is missing Spanish, although I'm not sure what fraction
of people speak Spanish in Morocco ...

So, a hypothetically well-localized web site for Morocco might offer:

     * Arabic
     * French
     * Berber
     * Spanish