Re: Ideographic Space, word-spacing, and justification

Every few years this issues comes back up. Unfortunately, I can't find the
rather long treatise I wrote the last time.

In general, I agree with Martin, that one should use styling properties as a
replacement for most of the "layout" uses of space characters (just as one
should use tables in place of most uses of tabs). That said, I would like to
briefly summarize the traditional (pre-DTP) handling of spaces and spacing,
and comment on "what I believe" to be the correct handling.

Second, I agree that the handling of letterspacing and wordspacing varies by
script and in some cases usage within a script, due to historic/cultural
differences in preferences/aesthetics, or specific readability requirements
for the usage, and the aesthetic desires of the designer.

This is a partial reconstruction of my prior emails on this topic.

My terminology:
  "Spacing" an adjustment to the distance between 2 glyphs/characters.
  "Space" a character which has a width but no visible inked representation.
  "Letterspacing" an adjustment to the intercharacter spacing used for
     line justification. [This definintion differs from CSS's.]
  "Wordspacing" an adjustment to the width of an interword space, also
     used for line justification.
  "WhiteSpaceAddition/Reduction (WAS/WSR)" a uniform adjustment to
     intercharacter spacing that is applied for design purposes or
     emphasis. [This corresponds most closely to the CSS-2.0 definition
     of letterspacing. Most DTP applications call this "Tracking".]
  "Tracking" and adjustment to intercharacter spacing which varies by
     fontsize/pointsize that is used to increase readability when
     optical sizing is not provided by the font. [This traditional
     definition differs from that used in most DTP applications.]

In setting Roman text:
  Letterspacing is not generally applied to Arabic (and other
connected-letter scripts/languages, nor to connected letter ("script") faces
in Roman-derivative scripts)
  Letterspacing is not generally applied to ideographic or similar
monospaced scripts, nor to monospaced text in Roman-derivative environments.
  Traditional applications varied widely in the algorithms used for
weighting how much of a justification adjustment was applied to wordspacing
vs to letterspacing. Most modern systems treat them as linear-proportional.
  Traditional publishing applications were also at odds over whether the
letterspacing adjustment AND the wordspacing adjustment should both be
applied to the space/NbSp characters, but most modern systems apply both.
  The Unicode NbSp (u+00a0) character should be treated the same as the
Unicode Space (u+0020). [In traditional publishing systems, these are
variable width in justified lines and fixed width in "aligned", tabular, and
math uses. However, some traditional publishing systems treat all space
characters prior to the first non-space in a line as fixed width.]
  The FigureSpace (u+2007), and PunctuationSpace (u+2008) are treated the
same way the corresponding figure '0' and punctuation period/full stop would
be treated in the current layout context (justified vs
aligned/tabular/math).
  Some traditional publishing systems had a quad-space and a
justifying-space (sometimes called a 'spaceband' rather than 'justifying
space'). Use of the quad-space within justified text would force the fixed
nominal-width of the normal interword space character, disabling
justification adjustments. This encoding concept has no analogy in Unicode.
  All other space characters {EM-space, EN, EM-quad, EN-quad, 3/EM, 4/EM,
6/EM, Thin, & Hair} are treated as fixed width and are not adjusted for
letterspacing nor for wordspacing. (Traditional publishing systems used
these for alignment/layout and did not generally apply tracking nor WSA/WSR
either.)

Ideographic languages/scripts do not generally use wordspacing or
letterspacing to adjust justification; instead they typically use rules akin
to those described in JIS-4051 (latest). This algorithm involves trimming
some characters to half-width, then reinserting 1/2 & 1/4-em spacing
adjustments at selected points within the line.
  Under these rules, Ideographic-space is treated as an ideographic letter
[generally fixed-fullwidth, but has some specific additional rules], and not
as a roman variable space.
  It should be a styling option of whether Roman text embedded in
Ideographic text is set using Roman algorithms or Japanese/Chinese
algorithms. Depending on the publication and the publisher, Roman text may
be set proportional (using Roman or Asian justification rules), halfwidth,
or fullwidth. (Similarly, they may choose Asian or Roman word-breaking and
hyphenation rules.)

I have not covered any specifics in the handling of ancient languages that
are generally only of academic interest; nor the handling of Arabic and
Arabic-dervative scripts; nor Indic; nor certain other language-specific
differences (such as adjustments to spaces on sentence boundaries in some
uses not after certain punctuation characters in French and other
languages).

I have also not addressed the handling of "hanging punctuation" and "hanging
spaces"; though there are different philosophies/algorithm for handling
these across the various script families.

-- S.Deach
   sdeach@adobe.com