Re: For review: Migrating to Unicode

At 05:26 08/03/24, Frank Ellermann wrote:

>Unix ^D for ETX is a slightly different story, unfortunately not
>used on DOS + OS/2 + NT platforms, where ^C or ^Z might work.

There are others that matter here. One that I frequently bump into
is ^S. In the old days, this was pretty useful because it would stop
data transmission from the server to your terminal, which
would only hold one or a few screenfuls of data. These days, that's
much less of an issue, terminal emulators can be set to keep thousands
of lines of output. But I'm so used to type cntl-s in so many programs
that I type cntl-s from time to time in a terminal emulator, too.
I then get confused for a while, wondering why nothing is happening
anymore, until I realize that I must have typed cntl-s, and use cntl-q
to restart data transmission. This is quite independent of the
character encoding that's used with the terminal session.

I always thought that ^S and ^Q had some distinctive names, but they
are just listed as DEVICE CONTROL ONE and DEVICE CONTROL THREE in
Unicode. Their exact definition must come from somewhere else.

Anyway, I think that this at least shows that Unicode did quite the
right thing in leaving the C0 (and C1) codes untouched, so that
applications can use them.

Regards,    Martin.