Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

At 10:10 28/04/2008, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
> > HTML 4 says that "Whitespace is not allowed within the
> > language-code."
>
>Yeah, there is a difficulty, "mul" does not really what
>you want.  If you try <html lang="no"> <body lang="nn">
>it also won't do what you want.
>
>But it is a new attack vector, maybe you could convince
>the HTML5 folks that more than one language can be fine.

Language information is also used by speech synthesis software
(e.g. screen readers), so whatever mechanism you use must
be unambiguous for this type of software.
(Before anyone asks: no, you can't expect screen readers to
perform automatic language recognition; they want to get the
language information from the browser.)

>They already allow "less than one tag", killing NMTOKEN
>for the desired xml:lang="" effect also in (X)HTML.

I'm not aware of any speech synthesis software used by
persons with disabilities that supports xml:lang.
(This may be because browsers don't support it; if you
have sections with xml:lang="en" in an XHTML document
and :lang(en) { ... } in the CSS for that document,
the style rules won't take effect until you duplicate
'xml:lang="en"' as 'lang="en"'. (I admit I haven't looked
into the effects of different MIME types here.) )

Best regards,

Christophe

---
I haven't.