Re: I18N issues for Widgets Spec [Was: Re: [Widgets] ASCII File names - request for comments]

Hi Richard,

On Dec 4, 2007 2:38 AM, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> I think, through the various contributions, we have arrived at some text for
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#zip-archive0 that seems ok to me, with
> one exception: the text "Note: To ensure interoperability, authors should
> avoid non-ascii characters ".
>
> For some readers this probably doesn't necessarily reflect what I think was
> intended.
>
> It can be read as a free-ranging statement or general principle that
> non-ascii names can and forever will cause interoperability problems.
>
> I think what you wanted to say is something along the lines of: due to
> current implementation issues with the zip format,  there may be some
> interoperability issues with the use of non-ascii characters at this time.

Ok, taking the feedback on board, I rewrote the note:

"Note: authors should be aware that, at the time of writing, there are
some interoperability issues with regards to using characters outside
the ascii-chars for file an folder names in a Zip archive. If an
author chooses to use cp437-chars or the UTF8-chars, they should
thoroughly test their widgets on various platforms prior to
distribution; otherwise it is recommended that authors restrict file
and folder names to the ascii-chars."

So it's clear, "ascii-chars", "cp437-chars" and "UTF8-chars" link to
the appropriate ABNF definitions in the spec.

Kind regards,
Marcos
--
Marcos Caceres