Re: [CSS21] Case-insensitivity not defined

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I don't think it makes much sense here to make this more complex than
> simply mapping A-Z to a-z and then comparing code points.

Except that you can define identifiers in CSS that are non-ASCII. It
isn't that hard to implement locale-neutral case-insensitive comparison
(since most programming languages provide access to an appropriate
function that implements it) for non-ASCII values. But it is important
to define what case-insensitive means and to have matching work
appropriately, regardless of what script people choose for their class
names and such in CSS.

Also: note that there is probably a Unicode normalization requirement if
you're going to do code point comparisons and not just a case folding
(case folding is just one form of text normalization). Hence my
reference to CharMod.

If CSS is going to do this simpler ASCII-only normalization, then we
need to clearly note that this is happening (or folks will wonder why
their stylesheets don't work when they appear like they should on
visible inspection).

Addison

--
Addison Phillips