RE: For review: Tagging text with no language

Sorry for piping up late on this issue....

I still question the practical applications of the "no linguistic content"
semantic. I thought we had agreed that the most appropriate use of the
"zxx" tag was to indicate that the association of a language with a piece
of content is not applicable.  So if I'm classifying an instrumental
musical work using a standard library cataloging system that is also used
for lyrical works, I might indicate that the recording is "zxx"; a silent
film might have a "zxx" audio track. This use of the zxx tag is not
indicated in the text on the page. Should it be?

Second, I don't think the part number example on the page is useful if the
intention is to code pages "so that applications such as voice browsers
... can process that text." If we think about what behavior would be
expected by a screen reader upon encountering a "zxx" tag, I would expect
that it would ignore the text inside the tag -- just as it should with,
say, binary junk. But clearly anyone trying to make sense of the content
shown on this page would need to "read" those part numbers as well.  The
same is true for programming code snippets that appear in technical
tutorials. This is where I think there is a distinction between
"non-applicable" and "non-linguistic" that is being ignored.

What purpose would your <span> tag in the example serve? While this may do
the right thing for the spellchecker, this is not the right thing to do
for a screen reader.

I have always argued that "no linguistic content" is not appropriate for
code or part numbers and I think recent examples show why I continue to
think this is a problematic usage and that the "zxx" semantic should be
"not applicable."

Regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer