Re: [Ltru] RE: [Fwd: Language Ontology]

Dear Debbie and all,
I suggest that everyone be extremely careful about the language
ontologies convergence issue, in order to avoid duplicate work.

This mail is a personal mail. A project preliminary document I work
on is to be released hopefully next week. Its purpose is to permit
stable and easy interoperability in the ISO 3166 regalian issues,
statistics, governments, administration, standards, etc. areas. I
will copy you its URL with the associated working list for its
further releases.

As you know, our need for an Internet multilingual distributed
reference system project has been delayed for several years by the
lack of proper support by ISO 3166, 639, 15924, 10646. They
documented "names of languages", etc. when we need stable and clear
"concept of language", and even  "emergence of language", to properly
interlink related registries in an ISO 11179 conformant way.
Otherwise it is a nightmare !

The need has been perceived but not identified on the language
ontology, script subsection, region sub-subsection side (TC 37/ISO
639) where texts now confuse "language names" and "languages"
(standing for "language concept"?) This has an impact on the whole
series consistency, on what macrolanguages are, etc. This then
impacts on BCP47 with their review system and their delay in
supporting ISO 639-3. We also have uncertain echoes about the final
status of ISO CD 639 and its ISO 11179 conformance. I would be really
glad as a user if you could answer these two question: will 639 be
ISO 11179 conformant?  will it stabilize as a 3 letter code, or a mix
of  2, 3 and 4 letter codes as BCP47?

Now, on the country oriented ontology with language subsection and
script sub-subsection, ISO 3166 addressed the issue in adding
administrative languages as a working example. We started working on
it, following the ISO 3166 rules, and validated the concept,
obtaining a very handy, consistent and powerful easily interoperable
solution. We will be able to complete it, further on, with ISO 639
codes as soon as TC 37 and 46 have coordinated and taken advantage
from the ISO 3166-1:2006 experience and ISO 639-1 added the five (at
least) missing alpha2..

At 00:54 24/04/2007, Debbie Garside wrote:
>Please be very careful with the use of the "Administrative Language"
>information from ISO 3166-1.  It is incomplete and therefore not good data.

This is a a remark of TC37 sociolinguist expert!
As ISO 3166 users we do not want an exhaustive coverage of 20 or
30.000 language entities. We just need pragmatic 192 local government
validated information.

>For example, it shows only two "Administrative Languages" for India
>where there are at least twenty-two.

If the Indian Gov said two are "administrative" and the South-African
one said eleven, this is their decision.

>I am hoping that this information will be taken out of the standard
>in the near future.

??? Where do you want to get it documented then?

>  I am currently writing an ISO NWIP for a revision of ISO 3166-1
> which will include a proposal for the deletion of this data.

Another one?
I understand you just introduced a first NWIP to _add_ Internet
related information (in Unicode points?) to these data?
It took decades to get that info there (I first called for it for the
very reasons you use ... in 1984). Now we start being happy using it
and have built a multilingual taxonomy on them, you want to delete them???

I am lost. Could you please clarify this? Thank you!
jfc