Re: [Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request (from ietf-languages)

I would not rely on this "rule of thumb"!

Some products draw the (open or solid) "box" for all "unknowns"; others
draw the "?" for all "unknowns"; some apps draw a "boxed-?" for all
"unknowns"; then other have different representations for various classes
of "unknown"; and if they rely on the font to represent unknown glyphs the
fonts provide different representations for missing glyphs.

At 2007.04.24-00:13(+0100), Addison Phillips wrote:

> > In general, "?" means: I know the character code, but don't have the
> > font to display it,
> > and "the little rectangle" means: I don't recognize that character code.
>
>Not quite. In general the "?" means that a conversion was done and the
>target character encoding didn't include the character, such as when
>converting Japanese ideographs encoded as Shift-JIS to ISO 8859-1
>(although some browsers also display question marks when the character
>code is unknown). The little rectangle means "I know the character, but
>don't have a font".
>
>Addison
>
>--
>Addison Phillips
>Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
>
>Internationalization is an architecture.
>It is not a feature.

---Steve Deach
    sdeach@adobe.com