RE: [Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request (from ietf-languages)

Thanks for the info.
Actually I often use a library computer, in the U.S., and I have not found a
convenient way to type accents on it.
So I put my accents into html pages using numeric encodings, é or
whatever, & these would be useless in comments since they are special html
characters & need to be displayed in a browser;
#233; in notepad looks like #233;  nothing readable.

(I don't even regularly put accents into my email in other languages;
& in fact sometimes accents do not display right;
but thanks for telling me that accents are safe in comments for script
functions & such, as I now know I can cut & paste accents into my comments,
first, I just go somewhere I can type accents, then copy & paste those into
my comments--
so long as they are ansi characters
(http://www.alanwood.net/demos/ansi.html)
and will display in a plain text file; remember there is no display except
what notepad [or whatever editor is in use] provides--

So I'm still unsure:  should I update the comments in my French translation?

I can get accented characters into an ANSI text file which is what notepad
lets me create for the source code--
?? now this may be a dumb question, but do all versions of notepad display
the same ansi characters the same way that my notepad displays source code??
[it is normally notepad that is used for displaying source code, sometimes
it is something else; and since a user can ask to edit a page in Microsoft
Word or Front page depending on what is on his/her computer then you can end
up ultimately viewing the source using Microsoft Word ;  I wonder if it
varies from country to country how accented characters in the source are
displayed in notepad or Word;
I feel like I am getting way out of my knowledge base here . . . ] )

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

>CE Whitehead wrote:
>
> > (French works o.k. though in comments; you just leave off the accents;
> > so you can have French or any Latin character set languages
> > in the code part of a document)
>
>Nit: Why do you leave off the accents? Comments are skipped in
>their entirety (whatever the encoding). I have source code
>with comments with all sorts of characters in them (most often
>encoded in UTF-8), except something that terminates the comment
>of course (linefeed or whatever). So far, none of the compilers
>I regularly use in recent years has complained about that. String/
>character literals and identifiers are unfortunately still another
>matter.
>
>	/k

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today.