RE: [Ltru] Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: CE Whitehead [mailto:cewcathar@hotmail.com]

>> If a language tag must be applied to something like "ifdef
>> DEBUG", then the appropriate language subtag would be zxx...

> I would only really disagree with what you say if there were
> programming languages where the words used to control the code
> were in other languages in use,

Excluding operators and such, which clearly are not words of English, the Microsoft C compiler recognizes this vocabulary:

#define #error #import #undef #elif #if #include
#else #ifdef #line #endif #ifndef #pragma
auto double int struct break else long switch
case enum register typedef char extern return union
const float short unsigned continue for signed void
default goto sizeof volatile do if static while
__asm dllimport2 __int8 naked2 __based1 __except
__int16 __stdcall __cdecl __fastcall __int32
thread2 __declspec __finally __int64 __try
dllexport2 __inline __leave

Some of those may be borrowings from English, but this is not English.

Not that I expect everyone to differentiate every different element in their document. If I discussing differences between the i607 and SMT5600 phones in an email, I'm probably not going to bother tagging the part numbers as zxx. But if I were editing a long document with lots of content of that nature, I might.

> zxx I gather keeps the spelling checker from checking
> the language of the code,

That is one possible reason for using such a tag among several.

Peter