Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Tagging source code snippets as "zxx" would be barbaric.

Source code snippets often do contain no linguistic data.

However the following is in English:

alert("This is English");//This comment is English too.

> Doug argued that "" is a placeholder, I think it's not in XML, it has
> a clear effect of breaking any inherited xml:lang, resetting anything
> interested in language tags (CSS, spell checkers, Web crawlers, etc.)
> to their default "no language specified" behaviour.

Agreed.

> It's IMO perfectly okay to have very different styles for "i-default",
> "und", "zxx", "art", "mul", etc.   With "" meaning "none of those".

I still don't buy that "" != "und".

If "" != "und" then the RFC is buggy, since it clearly requires that the
latter not be used if a protocol permits the former - a decision which
only makes sense if they are equivalent.