RE: Updated article: Two-letter or three-letter language codes

Hi Martin,

I've been thinking through your comments.

I agree to add a note saying that the tags you have been using so far don't
need to change (as long as you followed the 'shortest code' rule), and that
this is just a change in how you access them.

I think, though, that we should direct people to the iana subtag registry,
rather than saying that the IANA registry is just an additional way to find
codes.  If people keep going to the familiar ISO code lists, one, it's more
work if you need region or other tags, two, they probably less likely not to
think about possibilities such as zh-Hans or Latin-American Spanish, three,
it's likely to continue to confuse some people that there are two or three
codes for the same language, four, they may not find codes they are looking
for that have been added to the registry but not the ISO standards when we
add ISO 639-3 codes, five, it is confusing advice given the text in 4646
that says "The Language Subtag Registry maintained by IANA is the source for
valid subtags".

The two-letter vs. three-letter rule is something that the registry
maintainers need to worry about, yes, but the average user (and likely
reader of this article) should need to worry about it these days.

I will though add something that says that the ISO standards still provide
the source material for that registry, and that the registry maintainers
take care of the 2 or 3 letter rule.

Sound ok?

RI

Richard Ishida