Re: [backstage] Persian news IM bot now on Jabber (and other updates)

This is interesting.

It very clearly shows that more thought should go into supporting
internationalization markup in all kinds of document or document-like
(in the sense that they use free text rather than data items) formats.

The only blog format that got that right (sic!) from the start is
Atom (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4287.txt). Elements such as
<title> all allow for embedded XHTML markup, which then can take
a dir attribute. RSS 1.0 has a content module that could do the
same thing, but I'm not sure how well it is supported.

Of course, the Atom way is not the only way of doing this;
it would be great if there were less overhead (e.g. not
requiring the <div> element). It might also be helpful
if the dir attribute can be inherited from an overall
element (e.g. for a feed that's all right-to-left (rtl).
But inheriting an attribute from outside into the namespace
it actually belongs may not be the best idea for robustness.

In Ian's article and in Mario's messages, there is also some
extent of confusion with regards to bidi. If the text in a
line or paragraph contains only rtl characters, or neutral
characters such as punctuation, any application is supposed
to display it in the correct order. No attributes are neccessary,
except for where to start the line (flush left or flush right),
which can be considered a matter of taste (in mixed English/
Farsi text, I wouldn't consider having all English messages
flush left and all Farsi messages flush right necessarily
always the best display) and which could be handled by a
switch in the user agent.

It's only when a line or paragraph mixes both rtl and ltr
text where having additional information becomes really
necessary, to indicate whether the text is a (e.g.) Farsi
sentence with some English embedded or the other way
round (or even a more complicated structure).

Regards,     Martin.