RE: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

Any statistic about relative text sizes (measuring a language's efficiency in terms of pixels??) will only hold up over long runs of text. Even with Chinese one can find examples where the English will be smaller.

I've seen any number of UI designers straining to save 30% extra whitespace on a dialog box, menu system, or Web page, only to be disappointed by the display in translation.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.