From: www-international-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-international-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Rotan Hanrahan
Sent: 19 September 2005 11:49
To: www-international@w3.org
Cc: www-di@w3.org
Subject: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

At a recent meeting of the Device Independence Working Group (W3C-DIWG)
we discussed the issue of page layouts, and how to represent/process
them when adapting content for different devices. Our perception of page
layouts is based mostly on our Western experience of such pages, as such
people are in the majority in our group. Typically: logo and ads on the
top, navigation down the left, copyright at the bottom, scrolling the
page is vertical etc...

However, we were concerned that such layouts may not be representative
of the non-Western world. I am seeking references to information about
this topic. If it turns out that the Western ideas of page layouts are
broadly compatible with the ideas of page layout around the world, then
there is no issue for us to worry about.

(For immediate response from DI to any relevant ideas on this issue,
please email the www-di public mailing list.)

Thank you.

---Rotan Hanrahan (member DI, chair DD, ACRep MobileAware)

This e-mail and attachments has been scanned for viruses. Please email virus@cambista.net if you have detected a virus in this mail.