RE: Bidi Markup vs Unicode control characters

1) For block-level elements, Unicode control characters do not provide an
answer. The Unicode bidi algorithm specifies a work around when a higher
level protocol does not provide the base directionality, and this work
around is quite often unsatisfactory.

2) For inline elements, such as your example, markup is equivalent and it's
a matter of taste. See the note at the end of 8.2.3. I prefer markup because
it is visible.

Jony