Re: IDN problem.... :(

On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 4:06:29 PM, David wrote:

DC> One possible solution for the IDN is to determine "similar" looking
DC> characters, such as I (U+ 0049: Latin Capital Letter L)  and l (U+006C:
DC> Latin Small Letter L) (which look visually identical in Arial Unicode
DC> MS) and limit new  registration of only one of the code points.

Excellent idea! This ASCII stuff has some very similar looking
characters, they should never have been allowed. "L' and "1", "O" and
"0". Typewriters had just one key for these characters, it was good
enough then ...

Personally I feel that the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets have not proved
their worth and we should go back to using Greek and Etruscan scripts.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group