Re: declaring language in html/xhtml

At 23:13 04/12/15, John Cowan wrote:
 >> If I were a linguist that produced a page which was correct in both
 >> Australian English and British English, but not American English, how
 >> should it be specified?
 >
 >According to whatever is most reasonable and useful.  I know this is a
 >shovelling answer, but I can hardly see anything better.

Good point. For a lot of technology, engineers often cite the 80-20
rule, i.e. they try to cover 80 percent of what you might want with
20 percent of the effort to get a high 'return on investment'. For
internationalization, 80/20 is of course not sufficient, but we
still have to realize that there often is a point where we have
to ask whether the increased return is worth the effort.

Regards,    Martin.