Re: New test for review: Bidi misc

Martin Duerst wrote:

> Sorry, but I still don't buy it. I don't see my version of Opera
> putting "Title:" at the start, but say it did, and overall, the
> title bar looked something like this:
>
>     Title: My New Homepage - Opera

Your are conflating two separate cases here. My version of Opera
displays the title bar as

My New Homepage - Opera

and the tooltip as

Title: My New Homepage

> where "My New Homepage" came from <title>My New Homepage</title>.
> Now let's take an example that, as in the BIDI spec, uses
> upper case for RTL, as it appears logically in the source:
>
>     <title dir='rtl'>WE FLEW FROM tokyo TO KAIRO.</title>
>
> It seems very clear to me that the above sentence, should be rendered
>
>     .ORIAK OT tokyo MORF WELF EW
>
> and not
>
>     MORF WELF EW tokyo ORIAK OT.
>
> and that this applies even if we put it into the title bar as
>
>     Title: .ORIAK OT tokyo MORF WELF EW - Opera

I tried this case on a small sample of native Hebrew speakers (members
of my family), and they were unanimous in reading the title as "To Kairo
  Tokyo we flew from", even though they couldn't make sense of the
resulting sentence.

I make no claim that this constitutes a statistically representative
survey, but it conforms to my a priori analysis: the natural Bidi
reading is to assume that the whole title is left-to-right without
embeddings.