Re: New test for review: Bidi misc

On Thursday 2004-10-07 16:48 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:

> This actually probably wouldn't be hard to fix, assuming that the
> windowing environment supports LRE/RLE and PDF.  And I think I'd lean
> towards agreeing that it is a bug.

I should really get all my thoughts together before I respond.

I think it may be a good thing to fix.  However, I think doing so would
be extending the HTML 4.01 specification, and claiming that failing the
test is a bug would require errata to HTML 4.01.

In particular, a literal interpretation of section 8.2 of HTML 4.01 [1],
suggests (although the spec isn't entirely clear) that the dir attribute
has an effect on block-level and inline-level elements.  Although,
again, the spec isn't entirely clear (but what's new!), the title
element seems to me to be neither block-level nor inline-level [2].
Thus I think HTML 4.01 does not describe any mechanism for either
specifying a base direction or an embedding for the title element (or
for the contents of any attributes).

-David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.2
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#h-7.5.3
    doesn't specify which elements are block-level or inline-level, but
    title is in neither the %block nor %inline productions in the DTD.