Ang: AW: JSP page directive contentType overriden by Apache tomcat?

We have fixed the jsp pages encoding problem by setting it via struts
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor#processPreprocess
that is called for every request.

What we do is call
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor#setContextEncoding
which sets the encoding by retrieving a context parameter defined in
the deployment descriptor (web.xml)
    <context-param>
        <param-name>contextDefaultEncoding</param-name>
        <param-value>utf-8</param-value>
    </context-param>

Seems to work fine and saves us doing anything in the jsp pages.

/Piotr Kiernicki

Markus Gylling
International Technical Development Coordinator
the DAISY Consortium
www.daisy.org

Software Development Manager
TPB - The Swedish Library of Talking books and Braille
Sandsborgsvägen 52 12288 Enskede
Telephone: +46 8 399350
Fax: +46 8 6599467
www.tpb.se

>>> "Paul Deuter" <Paul.Deuter@plumtree.com> 2004-07-17 00:24 >>>
Hi Jungshik,

We have seen problems like this too.  When we have investigated, we
found that a call to response.setLocale will cause the content-type
header to be overwritten.  This will happen if you use any of the fmt
tags in JSTL.

We ended up resetting the content-type several times.  This workaround
is problematic because you can only re-set the content-type when the
response has not been committed.  If the response buffer is small and
the response content is large, then the first buffer will be sent and
after that point, you can no longer change the content-type header.

-Paul