RE: New FAQ: Setting 'charset' information in .htaccess

Re .htaccess, as well as the developer being able to physically change that .htaccess file and those changes being not ignored because of server setup, many organisations have guidelines about how .htaccess should be used efficiently/effectively. Ideally, you always work with server administrators to avoid redundant/duplicated load on the server.

Deborah

 -----Original Message-----
 From: www-international-request@w3.org on behalf of Richard Ishida
 Sent: Wed 07/07/2004 12:46
 To: 'Jungshik Shin'
 Cc: www-international@w3.org
 Subject: RE: New FAQ: Setting 'charset' information in .htaccess

 Hi Jungshik,

 Thanks for these comments. I make some proposals for modification below.

 I propose the following change:

 "Note that this FAQ is aimed at people who know that their server is set up
 to use .htaccess files, and who know that they have permission to alter
 .htaccess files."

 to:

 "Note that this FAQ assumes that your server is set up to use .htaccess
 files, and that the directives described below work in .htaccess files on
 your server."

 > FAQ> If these approaches fail, you should consult the Apache manuals
 > FAQ> (see attached links) or your server administrator.
 >
 > The Apache manuals at the end point to the pages on 'content
 > negotiaton', which is  not so relevant to this FAQ (although

 Actually this was meant to point to the location where the directives
 AddCharset etc are defined. Thanks for pointing it out.

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_mime.html

 > remotely related). I guess the following four pages have to
 > be listed, instead.
 >
 > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html

 > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#allowoverride

 > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/htaccess.html

 > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#allowoverride

 Good suggestions.

 So I propose to add these four and the two above in place of the links to
 content negotiation.

 >   Jungshik

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ - World Wide Wonderland

stated.