Re: New FAQ: Setting 'charset' information in .htaccess

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Richard Ishida wrote:

> The GEO task force has published another article based on an FAQ:

  I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you my feedback before the
publication, but I guess it's not too late :-).

> 	How do I use .htaccess directives on an Apache server to serve files with a specific encoding?
>
> At: http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

FAQ> Note that this FAQ is aimed at people who know that their server is
FAQ> set up to use .htaccess files, and who know that they have FAQ>
FAQ> permission to alter .htaccess files.

  I think this had better be made a little bit more specific. Having the
permission to alter '.htaccess' files (that most users would have as long
as they have shell accounts on the server) is different from having
the permission to get what they put in '.htaccess' files effective
(to be acted upon by the server). Even if their server is set up to
use .htaccess files, their server can be set up to _ignore_ 'AddType',
'AddCharset', 'ForceType' directives in '.htaccess' while
honoring other directives in .htaccess. (see the apache manual
mentioned below).

FAQ> If these approaches fail, you should consult the Apache manuals (see
FAQ> attached links) or your server administrator.

The Apache manuals at the end point to the pages on 'content
negotiaton', which is  not so relevant to this FAQ (although remotely
related). I guess the following four pages have to be listed, instead.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#allowoverride
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/htaccess.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#allowoverride