Re: Windows and Mac character encoding questions

Chris Lilley wrote:

 >>> the bytes 0x80..0x9F in iso-8859-1 are so rarely used
 >> ...they're even illegal in XML 1.0, aren't they ?

 > The characters at those positions in the UCS are illegal.
 > Bytes with those values in a given encoding are not illegal.

That's what I wanted to say, sorry for the confusion.  0x80 in
windows-1252 is an Euro, and U20AC is a legal Unicode character.

Ox80 in Latin-1 is a control character, it's the very same
control character in Unicode, and that's illegal in XML 1.0

All  up to Ÿ are illegal in XML 1.0   Bye, Frank