From: Jim Skelton [mailto:jim@theskeltons.org]
Sent: 11 November 2003 04:20
To: Misha Wolf
Subject: displaying unicode

Hi,

I love that web page at http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc10/x-utf8.html. I
demonstrates the capabilities of Unicode.

I noticed though that a few of the languages did not display, most
notably the Chinese and Japanese languages. I presume it was because the
font used to display it was not installed, and that not every font has
all unicode characters in it.

Of course, the next question would be, Is it possible for an html
document to prompt a user to download a font or language pack (similar
to when an html document has the "charset=big5" in the "meta http-equiv"
tag) so that the document will display with the correct font, even if
the user did not have that font installed previously?

Thanks for your help in this.

--Jim

the views of Reuters Ltd.