RE: [i18n-html-tech] some comments

Francois Yergeau writes:
> Bert Bos wrote:
> > But if you can't
> > put the language-dependent aspects of a document in the style
> > sheet, where *can* you put them?
>
> You should be able to put them with the actual language, in the document
> itself.

When possible, yes. And I'm glad that XHTML2 & CSS users won't have to
put the quotes of the Q element in the style sheet anymore.

> > the titles are images in the style sheet and thus the
> > translations disappear;
>
> And that is supposed to be good practice?

When the style language is powerful enough to express the desired look
of the titles, you should use that language, of course. Then people
can still cut & paste the title and the style is also easier to
maintain for the designer himself.

But the style sheet language cannot do everything and in fact CSS3
will have a property that allows designers to replace an element's
content, without the tricks they have to use now:

    H2#good-design { content: url(good-design.png) }

Hopefully, when SVG support improves, people will replace the content
with an SVG file rather than a PNG, so that cut & paste continues to
work and the image is scalable:

    H2#good-design { content: url(good-design.svg) }

Then the designer still has to maintain his images, but that is his
choice. The disadvantages for the reader are as good as gone. Just a
slightly longer download time.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM