Re: Commonly used fonts for multiscript CSS

Hi Richard,

"Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org> writes:

> [1] Does anyone know of a list of Unicode fonts that support specific
> scripts **and that one might expect users reading those scripts to have
> on their systems**?  This would need to be by platform, eg. Windows,
> Linux, Unix, etc.

Users of XFree86 [1] will _most_ probably have
-misc-fixed-*-iso10646-1 font installed by default. Font is actively
maintained.
More info here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html

There is another Font-project in GNU-world. Font name is:
-gnu-unifont-*-iso10646-1
This font is not installed by default, however.
Not much more info here: http://czyborra.com/unifont/

Some other names of Unicode fonts: ClearlyU, Adobe, B&H.

Please consider reading this small section:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#fonts
Thanks to Markus Kuhn for gathering this info.

> [2] Wrt generic fallbacks, one possibility on Windows would be Arial
> Unicode MS, although not everyone will have that font.  Are there other
> such generic fallbacks on other plaforms?

I suppose that -misc-fixed-*-iso10646-1 is the best fallback for XFree86.

[1] XFree86(TM) is a freely redistributable open-source implementation of
the X Window System. XFree86 runs primarily on UNIX® and UNIX-like
operating systems such as Linux, all of the BSD variants, Sun Solaris
x86, Mac OS X (via Darwin), as well as other platforms like OS/2 and
Cygwin.

XFree86(TM) is a trademark of The XFree86 Project, Inc, and is pending
registration.

The Open Group, UNIX and X Window System are trademarks of The Open Group
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

--
Alexander Pohoyda
<alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net>