Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

 > On 09/26/2002 10:46:42 PM Andrew Cunningham wrote:
 >
 > >For me, this is the crux: that browsers have not implimented the css
 > >:lang selector.

  As I wrote in my response to Tex, css 'lang' pseudo-class is
honored by MS IE and Mozilla 1.x/Netscape 7.

 > Again, the problem is knowing just *how* they should go about doing this.

   As for 'how', what MS IE and Mozilla do may not be as user-friendly
as Tex wants them to be, but I think it's pretty reasonable at
least for CJK. If they're configured to use different Unicode-cmapped
(non-Pan-script) fonts for TC/SC/J/K (as opposed to pan-script Unicode
fonts like MS Arial Unicode, Cyberbit), runs of text tagged with TC/SC/J/K
are rendered with fonts configured for TC,SC,J and K, respectively.

I guess you already know this much and what you're alluding
to is a problem of another dimension:  developing ( Pan-script
if necessary/possible) Unicode fonts with multiple lang-depedent
glyphs  (if that's possible at all overcoming/solving various subtles
issues involved. it seems like selecting lang-dependent glyphs for
Latin/Cyrillic letters are more difficult than CJK case) and getting
apps and rendering/font selection library to make use of them.  The font
selection part of these problems is addressed by fontconfig package by
Keith Packard (http://fontconfig.org). Of course, there should be
other implementations of/attempts at this problem.

   Jungshik Shin