Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> On 09/26/2002 08:55:18 PM Tex Texin wrote:
> >In the case of HTML, XML, CSS, ways to specify typographic preferences
> >exist, and language can be expressed via "lang". We just need browsers
> >and other user agents to make use of the lang information as part of
> >font selection.
>
> The difficult question is How? Do we want some means (not codepage) to know
> that certain fonts are suited to particular languages?

Fonts already span multiple languages, so by itself would not work.

Or do we want to
> make use of smart-font capabilities to allow culturally-preferred glyphs to
> be selected from a font? If the latter, then some more infrastructure still
> needs to be developed within APIs and layout engines.

I think yes. Whereas api relied on codepages either implicitly or
explicitly, this needs to be reexamined and language should be allowed
to play a suitable role in glyph selection and font selection.

Making e-Business Work Around the World