Re: Determining if Unicode / appropriate glyphs installed on client

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, 1:36:43 PM, Chris wrote:

CC> A site I worked on with Punjabi and Gujarati needed a help page, because
CC> even with windows there were problems:

CC>   http://www.laptopchallenge.org.uk/help/

For the Gujarati page
http://www.laptopchallenge.org.uk/gu/

some of the problems might be that the XHTML page is not well formed.
I hypothesised that this would trigger IE to send it to the
traditional HTML parser, which fails to realise that it is UTF-8 and
displays it as Latin-1.

On the other hand the Punjabi page is well formed and valid
http://www.laptopchallenge.org.uk/pa/

and IE6 on WinXP still thinks it is Latin-1. Probably a meta element
with a charset would tell IE what to use.

Aha! Not serving the pages as latin-1 would also help:

[clilley@tux]$ telnet www.laptopchallenge.org.uk 80
Trying 195.10.230.121...
Connected to www.laptopchallenge.org.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD /pa/ HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27 mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a
Location: http://webarch.net/pa/
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

clilley@tux clilley]$ telnet webarch.net 80