Re: Migration to CSS (Re: including ruby in an xhtml 1 transitional doc)

If anyone can point out a good reference and sample web site, paper, or
book for style sheets, please let me know.

This area seems to have been invented by the browser manufacturers as they
made different aspects work/not work.

Yes, it would be great if anyone documents CSS well. However, I suspect
that this detail is below the level that the W3C wants to handle and
maintain.

Anyone have any good current references?

Regards

                      "Mark Davis"
                      <mark@macchiato.com>        To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
                      Sent by:                    cc: <www-international@w3.org>, "w3c-i18n-ig" <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>
                      www-international-req       Subject:  Migration to CSS (Re: including ruby in an xhtml 1 transitional doc)
                      uest@w3.org
                      07/03/02 11:05 AM

Chris,

What I think many people would appreciate is a table that of
correspondences between every single HTML attribute (in context) and
CSS syntax that would replace it. This may exist somewhere, but I
can't find it. It would seem to be a fairly important piece of getting
people to migrate to CSS.

Some of the correspondences are fairly trivial:

fox.</p>

Others are a bit of a mystery. Take table borders for example. Someone
starts with example #1 below, and wants to replace the attribute
"border='1'" with CSS.

He first thinks that #2 would give the same result (in IE, for
example):

Nope, because #1 has lines around the cells, and #2 doesn't. So he
tries:

Not quite the same either, since #1 has a 'ridge' effect, which is
missing in the new one. Trying different combinations, he might be
lead to:

But that looks very bizarre; both the table and each cell are
outlined. He can't get them to collapse together. He is about to give
up and keep the original attributes; trying to figure out what works
in CSS is too painful. But at last, he stumbles upon:

It would make migration to CSS a whole lot easier if there were a
table somewhere on the W3C site that showed people the exact
correspondences without everyone having to stumble along and guess!

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
◄  “Eppur si muove” ►