Re: Standards for phone numbers, addresses, distance/weight/temperature units etc

Raja Raman wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:05:57 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Raja Raman <raja_coe95@yahoo.com>
>> To: www-international@w3.org
>> Subject: [Moderator Action] Standards for phone numbers, addresses,
>> distance/weight/temperature units etc
>>
>> Hi All!!
>>
>> I'm sure I'm not tackling this for the first time. I have a web
>> application to create for an international audience. I'm looking for
>> the following standards, for personalizing the entry screens,
>> validating data and displaying in locale-specific ways. The items I'm
>> looking for are:
>>
>> - Standards for phone numbers (different formats for phone numbers
>> per country)
>>
>> - addresses (the structure for street, city, state, country and ZIP
>> code for each country)
>>
>> - distance (e.g. km being used in UK while miles being used in US)
>>
>> - weight (e.g. kg in UK v/s lb in US)
>>
>> - temperature (Centigrade in UK, Fahrenheit in US)
>>
>> - Other units (any other units that the group knows about that vary
>> with user's locale)

Hello Raja,

I'm still rather surprised that "someone" hasn't put forth a XML schema
proposal for say Locale where you could define the entire set of
specific data in one place. With that said the most comprehensive set of
definitions I've ever run accross, in one place, is the set provided in
Nadine Kano's book on Internationalizing Windows 95.  I stand corrected,
just went over to the ISO site and they have a working draft at the
following  http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/projects.html.en

This spec doesn't outline the formats but at least its a start :)  Check
I18nGurus.com as well as the Microsoft site
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/ and here's some more links to check
out... http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Globalization/

John