Re: UTF-8 supporting Japanese characters

> From some source I came to know that UTF-8 does not support some Japanese
characters. Just wanted to verify this point. Is it true ?

There is a lot of misinformation floating around about the support of
Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK) characters. Aside from standards that are
synchronized with it, Unicode (whether in the UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32
format) supports more Japanese characters than any other. It supports over
70,000 CJK characters right now, and work is underway to encode further
sets. Unicode and ISO 10646 are synchronized in repertoire and format.
Unicode has the same repertoire as the Chinese GB18030 and GB 13000 (since
they are synchronized with ISO 10646, although the former has a different
ordering and byte format).

The development and extension of the CJK characters is being done by the
IRG, which includes representatives of the governments of China, Hong Kong,
Singapore, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam, plus a
representative from the Unicode consortium (cf
ttp://www.info.gov.hk/digital21/eng/structure/intro_irg.html).

This group is very careful cataloging, reviewing, and assessing Chinese
characters for inclusion into the standard. The only real limitation on the
number of Chinese characters in the standard is the ability of this group to
process them, because the characters are increasingly obscure (no person --
living or deceased -- knows more than a fraction of the set already
encoded).

Mark

—————

Πόλλ’ ἠπίστατο ἔργα, κακῶς δ’ ἠπίστατο πάντα — Ὁμήρου Μαργίτῃ
[For transliteration, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr]

http://www.macchiato.com