Re: Time Zones in Searches

> Is there a standard/commonly accepted way to search dates with time zones.

A certainly common approach is, as you did, to convert all date/time to UTC and do the comparaison all comparaison in UTC. Now as you point out this raises the question of converting to UTC when the user time zone may not be known. More insights on your application and the use of the dates you are manipulating would be very usefull to determine if:

- The conversion to UTC is indeed necessary (e.g. if you are storing local event date and time this may not be necessary).
- There are ways to infer the user time zone (e.g. user login information).
- Your user base can understand the need for time zone (e.g. scientifics).
- Great accuracy is needed (what the system should cover to be useful to the users).

Also I like to point out that accurate convertion to UTC is not an easy thing as it is complicated by the fact that many places use daylight saving making convertion of a time/date in the past or future much more complicated than having a single offset. Java has greatly enhanced its TimeZone class to make this sort of calculation much easier, the referring source in the subject is probably TZ (http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm). You'll find may time zone information related links there.

Regards,

Thierry
www.i18ngurus.com - Open Internationalization Resources Directory