From: souravm [mailto:souravm@infy.com]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 8:42 AM
To: www-international@w3.org
Subject: ISO-8859-1

Hi ,

Here is a small jsp code which I used for proof of concept for a multi
lingual project.

The interesting observation is that even if I put ISO-8859-1 as charset in
the meta tag it works for all languages. I tested it for Japanese, Korean,
Arabic and French (using IME on Windows 2000).

As far as I know ISO-8859-1 is supposed to cover only western european
languages. I'm suprised to find that it even supports the Asian languages.

Can anyone please explain me how can it support the Asian language ?

Regards,
Sourav

------------------------------
The jsp file name is i18na.jsp

<%@ page import="java.util.*"%>
<%@ page import="java.io.*"%>
<%
    String ucStr = request.getParameter("jap");
%>

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<TITLE></TITLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY topmargin="0" marginheight="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0">
String  = <%= ucStr%>
<FORM name="frmText"
action="http://192.168.119.15:5052/NASApp/fortune/i18na.jsp" method="post">
<TABLE  border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" width="200">
        <TR>
                <TD><INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="jap" SIZE="30" value=""></TD>
                <TD><INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="Submit" VALUE="button"></TD>
        </TR>
        <TR>
        </TR>

</TABLE>