RE: utf-8 Locale support on Solaris and Linux

> > UTF-8 is not a locale.  UTF-8 is a multi-byte encoding of the
> > Unicode repetoire of characters.
> >
> > The behavior of the standard C functions depends on the
> > compiler and the system that you are using.

That is the information I am looking for. In particular for Linux and GNU
glibc 2.2...

> > In order to get standard cross-platform support for
> > Unicode strings, I recommend using the ICU library.
> >
> > http://www-124.ibm.com/icu/

OK. But assuming that cross-platform is not a criteria of selection and that
the OS we need to use is LYNX for now (ICU on LYNX?), I am not sure if ICU
is the answer. Also, the Unicode support we are targeting would be
restricted to a few character variables. So, for instance, in a first stage,
we are not interested in collation, date, time formatting.

So, we are looking at a minimum C code modifications for supporting Unicode
encoding for specific character variables.

Solaris (starting with 2.6) and Linux have this concept of CSI. A Locale is
a combination of language, country AND character encoding form. So, let me
try to restate my question:

In my C code, if I set the Locale to en_US.utf-8, do I need to change my
character datatype to wchar_t and call the wide character functions or is my
original code (char and C functions) still valid?

> You are right to recommend ICU.  There are differences in how
> each Unix
> system deals with Unicode.  On Linux for example I can
> convert the UTF-8
> text to Unicode wide characters with a mbstowcs.  On Solaris the wide
> character implementation is not Unicode.

What is it then?

> ICU provides a consistent cross platform implementation.
> However you either
> have to convert to UTF-16 or add UTF-8 support to ICU.  xIUA
> http://www.xnetinc.com/xiua/ is open source code that adds full UTF-8
> support to ICU so that everything from xiua_strcoll to
> xiua_strtok works
> with UTF-8 strings.  If you don't want the rest of the code
> you can just use
> the UTF-8 support code.
>

> > -Paul
> >
> > Paul Deuter
> > Internationalization Manager
> > Plumtree Software
> > paul.deuter@plumtree.com

So, external character encoding is going to be assumed iso-8859-1 (for
instance opening and reading file will assume that any character is encoded
in iso-8859-1) and converted in UTF-8 internally (in memory). Is my
interpretation right?