RE: Unicode and sybase

If you have questions directly related to Unicode (rather than,
say, Unicode on the Web), then you're using the wrong list.
You will get far more Unicode-related information on the Unicode
list [1].  For instance, Ken Whistler of Sybase, who is a
Technical Director of the Unicode Consortium, would be able to
respond to your question were you to ask it on that list.

[1] http://www.unicode.org/unicode/consortium/distlist.html

Misha

On 27/09/2001 16:06:57 Chris Cowperthwait wrote:
> Sourav.
>
> >Can anyone please tell me -
> >
> >1. From which version onwards Sybase database
> >server supports Unicode ?
> >
> >2. Whether it internally stores all strings in
> >Unicode like Oracle ?
> >
> >3. Whether it provides  specific datatypes
> >(like nchar, nvarchar in Oracle) to support
> >multibute characters ?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Sourav
>
> I've actually done some testing with Sybase and its
> Unicode support. It has the UNIVARCHAR and UNICHAR
> column datatypes that correctly store Unicode data.
> This was as UTF-16 or UCS-2 or "wide" Unicode for
> all practical purposes. By the way, I was accessing
> the database through a JDBC driver that Sybase provides.
> When submitting Unicode values it wasn't necessary
> to denote these like is required via the "N" prefix
> for Microsoft SQL Server. (I was checking the JDBC
> access - and thus Unicode - support to this as well.)
>
> I was using ASE 12.5 but I think some Unicode support
> was available prior to this. I don't think it was
> well-documented (nor tested?) though and it was then
> doing UTF-8 (like Oracle) I believe. I'd be surprised
> if they didn't do internal processing in Unicode but
> this I don't know. From what I recall there was some
> documentation on this in the evaulation download of
> Sybase that I installed.
>
> /Chris
>
> Chris Cowperthwait
> Sr. Technical Consultant